Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Five Gingers in Review

From Ale to Beer
-



-
If you have read my review of Reed's Jamaican Ginger Beer than you know that I love ginger ale. The stronger the ginger bite the better. Or so I personally believe.
-
So upon arriving at Jungle Jim's it quickly appeared to me that I had somehow walked into nirvana. First there was the walls upon walls of cheese (another favorite of mine). Next the isles of meats from all sorts of wonderfully tasty little creatures. And finally the endless supply of exotic fresh produce gathered from all over the world.
-
And that is why when I came across the following five ginger ales and beers I knew I had found my new favorite grocery store. Nowhere else that I have ever been had ever had as many types and varieties of ginger ale as Jungle Jim's. So with that said let me introduce you to the following labels.
-

-
This brand, Barritts Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer, was a nice pop when served cold. However it was not really a good ginger ale. The reason I say that is simple really... it tasted more like a tangy lemon-aide than a strong bite ginger beer. And thus why I'm starting with it since it was my least favorite of the five gingers from Jungle Jim's.
-
For the price however it was a good deal. The pack of six was tasty in its own unique way. But it is a low grade ginger beer at best even with the purchase value.
-

-
Aw, Fentimans Botanically Brewed Ginger Beer... a truly odd ginger ale. A few months before having tasted this ginger beer I had tasted a dandelion beer that boasted the same .5% alcohol and same "grassy" flavor. Fentimans tasted sorta like a mouth full of flowers with a rather weak ginger bite at the end. And it was that ginger bite as you swallowed that made this number 2 in my review.
-
It was an expensive drink for a ginger beer that tasted more like dandelion beer than it did ginger. The bottle looks small but supposedly has the same amount of fluid in it. And the after taste is not as pleasant as the flavor is while the drink is still in your mouth. But even with all that it was still worth a try. Who knows, you might like the dandelion like flavor?
-

-
Regatta Ginger Beer is a much more traditional ginger ale than the two listed above. Unfortunately it exploded when I opened it so I ended up only getting to drink half the bottle. Yet in just those few drinks I was impressed. After all, I had drank the two above prior and was kinda disappointed thus far (and was drinking Reed's Jamaican Ginger Beer in between... you know, to "cleanse my palette").
-
The flavor was very nice with a good ginger flavor from start to finish. The only part of this drink I didn't like was the fact the ginger bite never really kicked in. So even though the flavor was good, I couldn't get into it that much since the bite was missing.
-

-
Old Jamaican Ginger Beer was a great ginger ale. It had the very traditional flavor and a mild ginger bite too. When drinking it you could almost imagine it was made in the same way the old handmade gingers were once brewed.
-
At first this ginger beer taste rather smooth with a strong flavor. It could have a stronger ginger bite I suppose. But even with a little less bite than I would had expected it was a really nice ginger ale.
-

-
And finally, Reggae Country Style Ginger Beer. This was one of the most uniquely flavored ginger ales I have ever had. It was flowery, earthy, and tangy all at once. You could really taste the ginger in it and yet still appreciate the multiple flavors in it. The ginger bite was still less than Reed's but still stronger than the other four beers.
-
This one is definitely a ginger beer you should look for if you like ginger ale. It is not expensive at all and the taste is well worth a try.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, just keep it on topic.